Helpful Tips from an Interior Designer regarding Exterior Painting
I have been providing exterior paint consultation for over 30 years in Northern Illinois and the Greater Phoenix areas. There are do’s and don’ts when it comes to painting the exterior of your home. I’ve seen the right and wrong way to make costly home improvements. Let me share with you my opinion of the right way and also, important exterior painting tips if you plan to paint the exterior of your house this year.
Here’s a few of my recommendations to assure longevity and the best possible exterior job.
- Use a high quality exterior paint or stain. I recommend using a product bought in a paint store. Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore are quality choices. My advice, spend a little more on your exterior paint. Higher quality paints have more additives, which in turn, last longer. Just remember, you’re improving the exterior of your biggest investment. It’s important to consider the long term, not just a short fix.
- I recommend hiring a professional interior designer to choose your paint colors. An experienced professional will take siding, roofing, stone and other materials into consideration when making color selections.
- Hire a professional painter to apply the paint.
- Try to avoid making costly errors. Exterior renovations are big investments. Do not make the mistake of having someone or even you make the wrong color choices.
- Power wash your entire home before you paint. Mold, mildew, dirt and loose surfaces need to be removed before painting begins. Allow a few days to dry in the warm weather.
- In order for paint to dry properly, the exterior temperature needs to be above 55 degrees. This temperature requirement is important for day and night hours. My advice is pick a few weeks when the weather is consistently above 60 degrees during the day and night. And note, paint can take several days, even weeks to dry completely.
- Make sure your painter is good at prep work. Caulking, priming, scraping are essential. This assures maximum longevity for the final product. After your house is thoroughly power washed and scraped, make sure all the raw wood surfaces are spot primed to allow adhesion. Good painters understand how important it is to prep before painting.
I’m wishing your next home improvement project is a success!!
Exterior Paint & Material Selection Consultations
DF Design, Inc provides consultations for interior and exterior of the home. Our approach to selecting the best color palette for your home is holistic. What does that mean? For Exterior Color Palettes, we take into consideration your existing architectural features, landscaping and neighborhood. We also consider any changes you are making in the way of roofing, windows, shutter and lighting as a part of the Consultation. If you have any questions regarding your next home improvement, please give us a call! We’ll be happy to answer any questions you have.